Miłków – the parish church of St. Hedwig
Wybierz obiekt:

Miłków – the parish church of St. Hedwig

The earliest mention of the church in Miłków dates from 1399. It was erected in the 14th century in its original Gothic form but was, however, severely damaged during the Hussite Wars. Later the structure was remodeled numerous times. The present church was most probably built around 1540-1543. It became a Protestant church as a result of the conversion of the local residents. The building stopped serving the Protestants in 1654. Both of the two portals of the church represent different styles: one of them is Gothic, the other Renaissance. The original elements of the church which have survived are the late Gothic wooden statue of Our Lady of Sorrows (1440), the statue of the Pensive Christ in the folk style from the 16th century and the Renaissance stalls.

The Neo-Gothic steeple was built in the second half of the 19th century. Seven epitaphs of local laboratory workers are embedded in the outer walls of the church. The church cemetery is surrounded by stone wall upon which three Conciliation crosses are carved. Carved feet and a sword can be seen on one of them (it is believed that the rite symbolized the profession of the dead – a shoemaker). The second one depicts a crossbow, while the third one (discovered by accident after the War) has no symbols on it. The ruins of a 17th century pillory have survived to this day next to the cemetery.

Contact:

Parafia rzymsko – katolicka św. Jadwigi

ul. Wiejska, 58-535 Miłków

tel. 75 761-03-25

 

Masses are celebrated at 9:00 a.m., 11:00 a.m. 6.00 p.m.