Jagniątków - the Museum of Gerhard Hauptmann, the Church of the Divine Mercy
Wybierz obiekt:

Jagniątków - the Museum of Gerhard Hauptmann, the Church of the Divine Mercy

Gerhard Hauptmann is one of the most valued German writers. His most famous piece is “Die Weber”, a drama set at the time of the emergence of the Silesian weavers from the bottom of the Sowie Mountain. The author lived in Jagniątków from 1901 until his death. Now a museum of this Nobel prize winner is located in this picturesque settlement which lies in the Wrzosówki valley. It is situated in a Hauptmann’s former villa. The building was constructed in the early 20th century according to a design by an architect from Berlin, Hans Griesbach. Until 1946 a magnificent art collection was kept in the house. The hall was decorated with medieval sculptures, a collection of coins was exhibited in the library, the paintings of e.g. Otto Mueller, Louis Corinth and Ludwik von Hoffmann were hanging in other parts of the house. There was also a collection of old and contemporary pieces of engraving art  (e.g. Dürer, Callot, Ostade), portraits of Mr and Mrs Hauptman and historical stained glass windows. After 1945 the villa housed the ‘Warszawianka’ holiday centre for children (until 1997). Earlier the place was called ‘Kamień Łąkowy’ (Wiesenstein, Meadow Stone), probably in reference to the vast park surrounding the villa as well as to the view over the Karkonosze one could see from the site. In 1989 the German chancellor Helmut Kohl and the Polish prime minister Tadeusz Mazowiecki agreed to open a museum devoted to the memorabilia left by the playwright and novelist. The House of Gerhard Hauptman was opened after major renovation on September 1, 2001.

Nowadays one can find a polychrome from 1922 by the Silesian painter Johannes Maksymilian Avenarius in the hall of the house. The polychrome depicts scenes from the writer’s books. Apart from the hall, called the “Eden Hall”, tourists can visit the old office, the library, the dining room and the fireplace room. Some excerpts from Hauptmann’s letters, documents and some first editions of his books are also on display. The museum contains two permanent exhibitions and usually a temporary one. The first permanent exhibition is entitled 100 lat Willi Wiesenstein (‘100 years of Wiesenstein villa’) and it shows the history of the residence in relation to Hauptmann’s literary output. The second multimedia exhibition, Gerhard Hauptmann w Wirze Historii (‘Gerhard Hauptman in the History Vortex’) presents  a biography of the writer in an interactive way. The temporary exhibitions usually take place in the fireplace room and they usually refer to Hauptmann’s literary work or  to the history of the region. A shop offering different items and  a café are situated on the ground floor. Many concerts, shows, exhibitions, openings of art exhibitions, literary soirees, colloquia and scientific conferences are organized in the villa.

 

Contact:

Muzeum Miejskie Dom Gerharda Hauptmanna w Jeleniej Górze – Jagniątkowie

ul. Michałowicka 32, 58- 570 Jelenia Góra

tel. 75 755 32 86

www.muzeum-dgh.pl

e-mail: kontakt@muzeum-dgh.pl

The Museum is opened throughout the year between 9.00 a.m. and 4.00 p.m. (from October to April) and between 9.00 a.m. and 5.00 p.m. (from May to September). It is closed on Mondays. Standard tickets – 6 zł, concessions – 3 zł, On Tuesdays – admission is free.

 

Another site also worth seeing in Jagniątków is the church of Divine Mercy, which was erected between 1980 and 1986 on the initiative of the parish priest of Sobieszczowska parish, Antoni Koniński. The church was consecrated on August 4th, 1985 by bishop Tadeusz Rybak. The building was designed in the Podhale style. Many tourists come to this wooden-stone church, which is located on the slope of Sośnik at no. 1 Saneczkowa street. The parish is a part of the deanery of Szklarska Poręba. It takes part in the ‘Days of Jagniątkowo’ in August - an event promoting safe tourism.

 

ul. Saneczkowa 1, 58 – 570 Jelenia Góra - Jagniątków

 

Masses: Sundays at 8.00 a.m. and 12.00, Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Saturdays at 6.00 p.m. (during wintertime at 5.00 p.m.)