- The Roman Catholic Cathedral of Saint John the Baptist
- The Church of Saint Cross and Saint Bartholomew
- Saint Giles’s Church and the Tower of the Chapter House
- Saint Martin’s Church
- The Post-monastic Augustinian Complex
- The Church of Virgin Mary on the Sand
- The Market Hall
- The Convent of the Ursuline Sisters and Piast Mausoleum
- The Old Monastery of the Knights of the Cross with the Red Star
- The Church of St. James and St. Vincent in Wrocław
- The University of Wrocław
- The Former City Prison
- The Town Hall
- The Complex of Tenements on the Western Frontage, the so called Side of the Seven Electors
- The Former Church of St. Barbara – at present the Orthodox Cathedral of the Nativity of Our Lady
- The Church of St. Anthony of Padua, at present the Church of the Pauline Fathers
- The White Stork Synagogue
- The Church of Divine Providence - Evangelical Church of the Augsburg Confession
- The Church of Saint Maurice
- The Church of Saint Lazarus
- The Church of Holy Trinity, The Monastery Complex of the Brothers Hospitallers of St. John of God, (Fatebenefratelli).
- Grunwaldzki Bridge
- The Open Technology Museum- ‘nadbór’
- The Teaching Hospital Complex of the Wrocław Medical University
- The Zwierzyniecki Bridge
- The ZOO
- The Centennial Hall
- The Church of Saint John Nepomuk
The White Stork Synagogue
The White Stork Synagogue is one of two synagogues functioning in Wrocław. It is the largest and the main synagogue of the Wrocław Jewish Community. Its name derives from the former inn ‘Under the White Stork’ which had earlier been situated on the site.
In the late 18th century there was an idea of building one large synagogue which would enable the closure of all the private synagogues and prayer houses scattered around the town, in accordance with royal orders. The first plans for creating a large synagogue were not realized due to the resistance of the most Orthodox Jews. The synagogue was finally built between 1827 and 1829 according to a design by Carl Ferdinand Langhans, Jr., the son of the creator of the Brandenburg Gate in Berlin. He designed a brick, oriented and single space building, erected in the Classicist style on a rectangular plan. The eastern and southern façades are richly decorated with two shallow risalits with Corinthian pilasters on the porticos. The structure has high arch windows. The synagogue is covered with a mansard roof crowned with attics and an octagonal lunette over them. The prayer hall is covered with a trough vault. On three sides there are two-storey Neo-Romanesque matronea for women. In 1901 the Council of the Wrocław Jewish Community building was constructed on the south and west side; together with the synagogue they create a courtyard entered through the gate of the Council building.
During the Night of Broken Glass (the Kristallnacht) on November 9-10 1938 only the proximity of the neighbouring buildings spared the synagogue from being burnt down by the Nazis. The interior and the furnishings, however, were damaged. During World War II the building did not suffer any significant damage and in 1945 it was restored to the needs of worship; generally accessible, though, it fell into further disrepair. In 1992 The Ministry of Culture and Art passed the synagogue to the Jewish Community. Having been renovated, the synagogue regained its former glory in 2010. Both the façades and the interior of the building were renovated. Today it is one of the most magnificent churches in Wrocław.
Synagoga pod Białym Bocianem
Ul. Włodkowica 7, 50-057 Wrocław
tel. 71 343 64 01
There is no e-mail address available.
How to get there:
Visiting: Services are held on Fridays at 6.00 p.m. and on Saturdays at 9.30 a.m. Visiting the synagogue is possible by prior telephone arrangement.
Fixed and regular events:
The synagogue is the centre of Jewish culture in the city hosting exhibitions, concerts, exhibition openings, theatrical shows, workshops and meetings. On Saturdays Havdalah concerts are held there. The annual festival Summer with Music Under the White Stork (Lato z Muzyką Pod Białym Bocianem) takes place every Sunday afternoon in August. The annual Israeli Day is held on the 6th and 7th of May.
The nearest car park is situated in Św. Antoniego street and in the Helios Cinema at 19 a Kazimierza Wielkiego street.
Places to eat:
Since the site is located in the centre of Wrocław, thre is a wide range of eateries to choose from. It is worth visiting the numerous restaurant located in Włodkowica street: Mleczarnia, Sarah, On Nova and Casablanca among others.
Wrocław offers many accommodation services, the closest ones are:
ul. Włodkowica 5, 50-072 Wrocław
tel. 71 787-75-70
Ul. Kazimierza Wielkiego 27a, 50-077 Wrocław
tel. 71 371-45-00
Boogie Hostel Wroclaw
Ul. Ruska 35, 50-079 Wrocław
tel. 71 342-44-72
Tourist Information Office:
Centrum Informacji Turystycznej i Kulturalnej
Rynek 14, 50-107 Wrocław
Opening hours: 9 a.m. - 7 p.m.
tel. 71 344-31-11
Dolnośląska Informacja Turystyczna
Sukiennice 12, 50-107 Wrocław
tel. 71 342-01-85
Opening hours: 10 a.m. – 8 p.m.