The Church of St. James and St. Vincent in Wrocław
Wybierz obiekt:

The church of St. James and St. Vincent in Wrocław

The church of Saint James and Saint Vincent in Wrocław is now a Greek Catholic cathedral. The church and the monastery, were founded by Henry the Pious in 1240 for the Franciscan friars who arrived from Prague. While the church was still under construction, its founder, killed in the battle of Legnica, was interred in the crypt in 1241.

Twenty years later, on 16 December 1261, the incorporation of the New Town in accordance with the Magdeburg rights was announced in that very church; this made possible further development of Wrocław.

Until the early 16th century, the church belonged to the Franciscans. A significant number of friars converted to Protestantism or left the city. The abandoned site was then taken over by the Norbertines (Premonstratentians) from the demolished abbey in Ołbin. They dedicated the church to their patron saint from Ołbin – Saint Vincent. After the secularisation of the order in 1810, the church became a parish church, and the monastic building housed the court of justice.

Over the centuries, the church underwent numerous alterations. In the 14th and 15th century, it was thoroughly reconstructed and extended. In the Baroque era, it was richly equipped and received, among other things, a new altar. Between 1723 and 1727, a chapel of St. Barbara (later: of the Holy Sacrament) was added by the south wall. The site survived the warfare only to be destroyed in the last days of 1945: the steeple, the lateral walls and the vaults collapsed. Almost the entire equipment of the church was also damaged.

The church is now a three-nave basilica with a five-bay body and a single-nave six-bay chancel, finished trilaterally. It is 77.5-metre long, 22-metre wide and 23-metre high. The interior is covered by a cross-rib vault. The buildings of the former Norbertine monastery (now: the edifice of the Institute of Polish Philology, University of Wrocław) adhere to the church from the north; such an arrangement is atypical of this part of Europe, but typical of Wrocław.

In 1997, as a result of the efforts made by pope John Paul II and cardinal Henryk Gulbinowicz, the site was given to the Greek Catholic Church and became the seat of the Eparchy of Wrocław-Gdańsk.

Contact:

Katedra Św. Wincentego Diecezji Wrocławsko - Gdańskiej Kościoła Greckokatolickiego we Wrocławiu

pl. Bpa Nankiera 15 a, 50-140 Wrocław

tel. 71 343-94-77

www.cerkiew.net.pl

e-mail: konsystoria@wroc-gda.opoka.org.pl

How to get there:

The site is situated in the centre of Wroclaw.

Visiting:

The church is open during masses in July and August, on Sundays at 9 a.m. and 7 p.m., and on holidays at 10 a.m. and 6 p.m.

Fixed and regular events:

None.

Car parking:

At Nankiera square and Piastowska street. 

Gallery

Places to eat:

Since the site is situated in the centre of Wrocław, there is a wide range of eateries to choose from.

Accommodation:

Wrocław offers many accommodation services, the closest ones are:

Best Western Hotel Prima

Ul. Kiełbaśnicza 16, Wrocław

tel. 71 782-55-55

bestwestern-prima.pl

prima@bestwestern-prima.pl

Qubus Hotel Wrocław

Ul. Św. Marii Magdaleny 2, 55-103 Wrocław

tel. 71 797-98-00

www.qubushotel.com

rezerwacja@qubushotel.com, wroclaw@qubushotel.com

The Granary La Suite Hotel Wrocław City Centre

ul. Mennicza 24, 50-057 Wrocław

tel. 71 395-26-00

www.thegranaryhotel.com

granary@granaryhotel.com

Tourist Information Office:

Centrum Informacji Turystycznej i Kulturalnej

Rynek 14, 50-107 Wrocław

Opening hours: 9 a.m. - 7 p.m.

tel. 71 344-31-11

mobile 663-888-725

www.wroclaw-info.pl­

e-mail: info@itwroclaw.pl

Dolnośląska Informacja Turystyczna

Sukiennice 12, 50-107 Wrocław

tel. 71 342-01-85

www.itwroclaw.pl

e-mail: wroclaw-info@itwroclaw.pl

Opening hours: 10 a.m. – 8 p.m.