Chwalimierz – remnants of a palace
Wybierz obiekt:

Chwalimierz – remnants of a palace

The remnants of the neo-Gothic palace once owned by the von Kramst family (owners of a Silesian textile empire which was esteemed on the world market) are sometimes referred to as “a snail hidden in the grass”. This splendid mansion was erected between 1884 and 1885; it was the work of a famous Wrocław architect, Karl Schmidt.

The palace, made of clinker brick, was situated on a wooded hill. It could be spotted from afar thanks to its multi-storey tower, pinnacles, and pediments with volutes. It was decorated with various stone elements, such as volute ornaments. The interior was decorated with beautiful paintwork and stucco, and equally richly equipped. Richly decorated wooden furniture with the Kramst’s coat of arms, and enormous crystal chandeliers were placed not only in the ball room. The palace contained a library, a private chapel, and a kitchen located in the basements.

The edifice was surrounded with a romantic landscape park, where you could relax on one of the numerous granite benches among marble statues, greenery and streams running into a pond with an island, where small boats were moored. A pool with a fountain was situated in front of the palace; its basin is still distinguishable among the ruins.

The palace was devastated in 1945 by the Soviet army and was never renovated. In 1949, MO (civic militia) seized three sacks of golden and silver vessels found on the premises of the abandoned site. In the 1950s the local community still organised harvest festivals in the palace. However, when the roof collapsed, the interior could no longer be used and the walls were dismantled to be used for building material.

Today, a quadrilateral tower topped with a battlement and with a staircase in the corner is all that remains of the former palace complex. Its facade is still decorated with the coat of arms of the Kramst family. A fragment of the eastern tower with a glorietta (a round garden pavilion with a colonnade, originally covered with a dome) has also survived. The winding stairs of the glorietta lead from the terrace to the park; traces of the latter can still be seen among the trees.

Cartouches with elements of the von Kramst’s coat of arms can also be found on the building adjacent to the palace, which is still inhabited. In the former stable, where a private horse riding school now operates, the original cast iron columns and mangers have been preserved. Other surviving buildings include the administrator’s house (“aviary) and a brick chapel renovated between 1972 and 1975, today serving as the church of the Sacred Heart of Jesus Christ.



There is no contact available.


How to get there:

Chwalimierz is situated about 35 km from Wrocław. Take road no. 94 in the direction of Środa Śląska, in Środa Śląska take an exit onto Wiejska Street, then onto a road going in the direction of Chwalimierz.



The site is open to visitors.


Fixed and regular events taking place on the site:



Car parking:

It is possible to park next to the site.


Places to eat:

Restauracja „Stare Miasto”

pl. Wolności 22, 55-300 Środa Śląska

tel. 71 314-60-61, 792-592-704


A contact form is available on the website.            


Zajazd „Pod Dębami”

Wróblowice, 55-330 Miękinia

tel. 71 369-51-08

There is no e-mail address available.


Pizzeria Florencja

ul. Kościuszki 24, 55-300 Środa Śląska

tel. 71  317-50-77



Accommodation services:

Hotel Hellon

ul. Wrocławska 86, 55-300 Środa Śląska

tel. 71 317-24-29



Hotel Centrum

pl. Wolności 37, 55-300 Środa Śląska

tel. 71 317-60-00, 603-684-512



Dom Bankietowo – Gościnny „Pod winną górą”

ul. Sikorskiego 46, 55-300 Środa Śląska

tel. 885-176-463, 500-844-143



Dom Gościnny & Kawiarnia

ul. Wrocławska 22, 55-300 Środa Śląska

tel. 71 317-30-70, 504-052-435



Tourist Information Office:

Lower Silesian Tourist Information Office (Dolnośląska Informacja Turystyczna)

Sukiennice 12, 50-107 Wrocław

tel. 71 342-01-85

e-mail: wrocł