Borzygniew – the Gothic church of St. Barbara, the ruins of a Renaissance palace, Mietkowskie lake
Wybierz obiekt:

Borzygniew – the Gothic church of St. Barbara, the ruins of a Renaissance palace, Mietkowskie lake

The ruins in Borzygniew are remains of a Renaissance palace built in 1613 by the owners of the village: Christof von Mulhein und Domantz and his wife Barbara, née Seidlitz. It was a two-storey brick manor built on a rectangular plan, covered with two gable roofs. The facades were adorned with geometrical sgraffitto decorations. Each wall was topped with twin triangular fancifully-shaped pinnacles and attics.

In April of 1945, the palace was shelled and burned down. It was never rebuilt.

In the ruins of the palace, a barrel vault survived in the vestibule, adorned with geometrical stucco decoration. Remnants of a Renaissance portal with two pilasters with an old shield bearing a German inscription can be found in the centre of the facade .

The first mentions of St. Barbara’s church in Borzygniew date from 1262. It was a late-Roman church rebuilt in the 15th century; after that reconstruction it acquired a Gothic character. In the following centuries a sacristy and a tower were added to the building; the latter was dismantled in the 19th century, only its bottom part was left as a porch. The tower in its present shape dates from 1910. Built on a rectangular plan, it has a Gothic shape and is situated above the central part of the nave. The church was built of rubble and reinforced in the corners with granite ashlars. The stone elements of the elevation are now mostly plastered or painted. The original spatial layout was preserved. The church has one nave and a flat ceiling. The chancel is closed and covered with a cross-rib vault. The ribs, with chamfered corners, are supported on cantilevers in the form of masks. A rosette decorating the round keystone has also been preserved. An ogival window with a dual tracery and a fivefold rosette supported on trefoil arches, and an ogival portal with a tympanum decorated with a cross are a testimony of the church’s 15th-century origin.

A late-Gothic stone tabernacle has survived in a niche in the eastern wall of the chancel. The interior of the church combines the Gothic and Baroque styles. Two Gothic sculptures from the late 15th century, presenting Madonna and St. Sebastian, two Baroque altars, a pulpit from around 1700, a baptismal font and the 16th-century stone grave plates of Kaspar Schindler and members of his family are of particular value.

Borzygniew is situated on the shore of the biggest dam reservoir in Lower Silesia. The Mietkowskie Lake (also called Zalew Mietkowski) was created in the 1980s by the construction of a 3-kilometre dam on the Bystrzyca river in the nearby Mietków. It serves as a storage reservoir. Aggregate is extracted from the bottom of the lake, and three small hydroelectric plants are situated on its shores.

The lake lies within the area of the Bystrzyca Valley Landscape Park and is very attractive for various forms of recreation. The size of the reservoir (4 km by 2.5 km) allows the visitors to practice all sorts of aquatic sports; the site is also very attractive for anglers and ornithologists. A campsite, a harbour with a boat rental and a restaurant are open onshore. The construction of a modern aquatic sports centre is planned in very near future.

A very interesting discovery of a strange stone found on the shore of the lake in Borzygniew by a primary school pupil turned out to be a flint biface. This prehistoric tool from 200,000 – 500,00 years ago is the oldest trace of human presence in this area.

 

Contact: 

The church of St. Barbara

ul. Główna, 55-081 Borzygniew

Imbramowice, the Church of the Virgin Mary

ul. Żarowska, 58-121 Imbramowice

tel. 74 850-73-85

 

How to get there: Borzygniew is situated about 40 km from Wrocław. Take the A4 highway in the direction of Zgorzelec, after about 15 km take an exit onto road no. 347 in the direction of Kąty Wrocławskie, then take a turn in the direction of Mietków.

 

Visiting:

The church of St. Barbara: masses:

Sundays: 9.30 a.m.

 

Fixed and regular events taking place on the site:

Mietkowskie Lake: Marining (regattas, concerts and shanties) – May.

 

Car parking:

It is possible to park in the vicinity of the site.

 

Places to eat:

Przystań u Francuza

Maniów Mały, Ośrodek Riviera, 55-081 Mietków

tel. 71 390-77-17, 601-786-382

There is no website or e-mail address available.

 

RestauracjaSzczere Pole

ul. Armii Krajowej 6, 55-050 Sobótka

tel. 71 390-47-04, 605-110-266

www.szczerepole.pl

e-mail: restauracja@szczerepole.pl

 

 

RestauracjaPod Jeleniem

Rynek 8, 55-050 Sobótka

tel./fax 71 390-32-37, 696-413-205

www.pod-jeleniem.pl

e-mail: biuro@pod-jeleniem.pl

 

Dom Turysty im. Romana Zmorskiego

Góra Ślęża, 55-050 Sobótka

tel. 71 342-61-42

www.domturysty.net

There is no e-mail address available.

 

Accommodation services:

Przystań u Francuza

Maniów Mały, Ośrodek Riviera, 55-081 Mietków

tel. 71 390-77-17, 601-786-382

There is no website or e-mail address available.

 

Dom Turysty im. Romana Zmorskiego

Góra Ślęża, 55-050 Sobótka

tel. 71 342-61-42

www.domturysty.net

There is no e-mail address available.

 

Ślęża Pension

ul. Św. Jakuba 4, Sobótka

tel./fax 71 390-31-67, 667-345-678, 691-677-822

www.pensionatsleza.pl

e-mail: recepcja@pensionatsleza.pl

 

Pokoje gościnne „Pod Jeleniem

Rynek 8, 55-050 Sobótka

tel./fax 71 390-32-37, 696-413-205

www.pod-jeleniem.pl

e-mail: biuro@pod-jeleniem.pl

 

Hotel Dom Turysty PTTK „Pod Wieżycą”

ul. Armii Krajowej 13, 55-050 Sobótka

tel./fax 71 316-28-57

www.podwiezyca.com.pl

e-mail: podwiezyca@podwiezyca.com.pl

 

Tourist Information Office

None.