Wrocław- Grunwaldzki bridge
Wybierz obiekt:

Wrocław - Grunwaldzki bridge

Grunwaldzki bridge was built between 1908 and 1910, and it is one of the most famous and best-recognised among all Wrocław’s bridges. Due to its distinctive outline it became a symbol of the city. It is also a technological monument, well-known by bridge engineers around the world, due to its unique construction.

The first plans for the erection of a new river crossing were drawn up as early as 1890, in connection with the construction of the new exclusive residential districts of Sępolno, Zalesie and Zacisze along with the accompanying sport, exhibition and leisure areas. In 1905 the Town Council announced a tender for a design of a new bridge. The winning design was by R. Weyrauch PhD MSc (later a professor at the Technical University in Stuttgart) and architect Martin Mager from Hamburg. In later years M. Mayer and constructor Scholtz worked with them. One of the most expensive designs was chosen for aesthetic reasons. The structure had a monumental appearance inkeeping with the buildings which were already there and at the same time not obscuring the view over Ostrów Tumski. The cost of construction was 2,810,000 DEM. 2400 t of granite blocks and 2300 t of steel were used.

The structure of the bridge is supported on two pylons made of brick but faced with granite, each of which is formed in the shape of a triumphal gate comprising two towers connected by an arch. The steel structure which makes the bridge so unique leans on the pylons. The so called suspenders are made of steel plates riveted flatwise (they make the Grunwaldzki bridge the only one of its kind in the world). The suspension lines, which are the supporting bars stiffening the bridge, are attached to the beams.

Grunwaldzki bridge has a span of 112.5 m. At the moment of its creation it was the second longest hanging bridge in Germany. The gates of the bridge were monumental, Neo-romantic in style, adorned with reliefs, stylized pictures of eagles and the coat of arms of Wrocław. At first the towers were capped with pointed spires. This historical architectured feature contrasts with the modern steel structure.

At first the bridge was named ‘the Emperor Bridge’ (Kaiserbrücke). Later, at the fine of the Weimar Republic ‘the Freedom Bridge’ (Freiheitsbrücke); during Nazi times - once again it was called ‘the Emperor Bridge’. In 1947 it was named after the Battle of Grunwald, as the year of its completion, 1910, was also the 500th anniversary of this battle.

In 1945 the bridge was severely damaged. It did not collapse only because it was supported with four cribworks mounted on sunken barges. Between 1945 and 1947 renovation work was carried out, and in 1976 it was listed in the Heritage Register.

Today, Grunwaldzki bridge is one of the main bridges in Wrocław, it is used by cars, trams and pedestrians.

Contact:

Most Grunwaldzki (across the river Oder)

In Grunwaldzki Square and Oławska Street.

How to get there:

Road no. 8 goes across the bridge.

Visiting:

The bridge is in use, it is accessible to both pedestrians and vehicles.

There is a very interesting possibility of admiring the bridge from a boat trip on the river Oder from March 15th to November 30th. Information can be acquired at: 71 328 36 18, e-mail: statek.wroclaw@wp.pl. Next to the National Museum in Wrocław in the Gondola Bay it is possible to hire a boat or a kayak (from April 1st to October 30th, Monday - Friday from 12.00 to 6.00 p.m., on Saturdays, Sundays and Holidays from 10.00 a.m. to 6.00 p.m.

Fixed and regular events:

None.

Car parking:

On the left side of the river Oder – Powstańców Warszawy Square (next to the Lower Silesian Governor’s Office building).

Places to eat:

Restaurant La Donna Cannone

pl. Grunwaldzki 27, 50-365 Wrocław

tel. 71 776-56-30

There is no website available.

There is no e-mail address available.

Punkty gastronomiczne w Pasażu Grunwaldzkim

pl. Grunwaldzki 22a, 50-384 Wrocław

tel.: none

There is no website available.

There is no e-mail address available.

Accommodation:

Green Hostel Wrocław

ul. Mickiewicza 4

51-619 Wrocław

tel./fax 71 348-06-06

www.greenhostel.wroclaw.pl

e-mail: info@greenhostel.wroclaw.pl

Qubus Hotel Wrocław

ul. św. Marii Magdaleny 2, 50-103 Wrocław

tel. (reservations) 71 782-87-65

www.qubushotel.com

e-mail: rezerwacja@qubushotel.com, wroclaw@qubushotel.com

Hotel Tumski

ul. Wyspa Słodowa 10, 50-266 Wrocław

tel. 71 322-60-88/99

www.hotel-tumski.com.pl

e-mail: hotel@hotel-tumski.com.pl

Hostel „Cinema”

ul. Kazimierza Wielkiego 17, 50-077 Wrocław

tel. 71 795-77-55, 603-257-632

hostelcinema.pl

e-mail: hostelcinema@o2.pl

Hotel Podróżnik

ul. Sucha 1 (Dworzec PKS), 50-086 Wrocław

tel./fax 71 373-28-45

www.podroznik.emeteor.pl

e-mail: styrna.pilch@neostrada.pl

Międzynarodowe Schronisko Młodzieżowe PTSM „Na Wyspie”

ul. Wyspa Słodowa 10, 50-266 Wrocław

tel. 71 322-11-50, fax 71 322-61-13

schronisko.hotel-tumski.com.pl

e-mail: schronisko@hotel-tumski.com.pl

Tourist Information Office:

Centrum Informacji Turystycznej i Kulturalnej

Rynek 14, Wrocław

tel. 71 344-31-11, 663-888-725, fax 71 344-29-62

www.wroclaw-info.pl

e-mail:info@itwroclaw.pl

Gallery