Nowa Ruda – a training shaft for the coal mine - Pole Piast
Wybierz obiekt:

Nowa Ruda – a training shaft for the coal mine - Pole Piast

The vicinity of Nowa Ruda is a region with a very long tradition of coalmining - the first unconfirmed information about it dates from 1434 and concerns Czerwieńczyce. The next (confirmed) mentions date from 1478 (the ‘Pod Bukiem’ mine, that is ‘Under the Beech’ in the area of the present Zacisze district), 1491 (a lease of the rights to mine to a peasant Wenzel by baron Stillfried) and 1545 (the mine in Bożków). Due to the specificity of the local deposits, the mining was very easy to initiate (numerous outcrops could be found even on the surface), but rather difficult to continue. The coal-bearing strata were very low, twisted and cut by faults and also in danger of explosions due to the presence of carbon dioxide. On the other hand, they contained the best-quality, unsignificantly sulphated coking coal.

The significant development of mining based on a new mining law took place in the second half of the 18th century, when the area was already under Prussian rule. In 1781 a mine on the field called ‘Ruben’ started to work, and from 1945 the ‘Piast’ mine was in operation. For many years the Ruben-Grube mine produced rather small amounts, which could be estimated at several thousand tons a year. In 1868 the shaft currently called ‘Lech” reached the I level with a water wad, using dynamite. An 18 HP steam lift was mounted in the shaft.

Considerable development of the mine began after 1879, when fireproof shale started being mined (processed in the kilns of the nearby roasting plant which have been preserved). In 1891 the mine worked by 554 people excavated 80 721 t of coal and 35 000 t of shale

By 1945 596 explosions of gas and rocks had been registered, sometimes with disastrous consequences. The biggest one occurred on May 10th 1941, killing 187 miners.

After the Second World War three mines were reopened in Nowa Ruda – Piast (earlier called Ruben), Przygórze (earlier named Rudolf) and Słupiec (formerly Johann Baptista). In 1948 they were combined to make the Nowa Ruda mine (although between 1954 and 1971 the Słupiec mine was separate). It was the biggest mine in the Lower Silesian basin, employing 6000 people, with 65 km of pits in the Słupiec field and 35 km in the Piast field. About 1 mln tons of coal and 100 000 tons of shale were mined. Work was conducted on 7 different levels until September 15th 1994. After that the mine was closed down and the pits were naturally inundated. The 750-m long complex of pits by the ‘Lech’ tunnel was left as a museum site, being at the same time a training shaft in which the students of Mining Schools had their training (internships).

In the Museum "Coal Mine" there is an exhibition presenting the history of the coal mining industry in Nowa Ruda (minerals and fossils, tools and protective equipment, uniforms, models of devices), including the original dispatch room of the mine which has been preserved. A shaft with a headframe, ventilation devices and a unique complex of shaft roasting furnaces from the 19th century. In the ‘Lech’ shaft there is an exhibition of different types of enclosures and mining and transporting coal machinery. There are carts with the last parts of coal excavated at the "Piast" field in the Lower Silesian Basin. There is also a narrow-gauge railway available for tourists.

Contact:

Podziemna Turystyczna Kopalnia Węgla

ul. Obozowa 4, 57-401 Nowa Ruda,

tel. 74 872-79-11

www.kopalnia-muzeum.pl

e-mail: ptt.kopalnia@vp.pl

How to get there:

From Piłsudskiego Street (road no. 381 in the direction of Wałbrzych) take a right turn into Obozowa Street.

Visiting:

January – March: from 9.00 a.m. to 4.00 p.m. (the last entrance at 3.30 p.m.)

April – June: from 9.00 a.m. to 5.00 p.m. (the last entrance at 4.30 p.m.)

July – August: from 9.00 a.m. to 6.00 p.m. (the last entrance at 5.30 p.m.)

September – October: from 9.00 a.m. to 5.00 p.m. (the last entrance at 4.30 p.m.)

November – December: from 9.00 a.m. to 4.00 p.m. (the last entrance at 3.30 p.m.)

Visiting only with a guide.

Ticket prices: adults 15 zł, concessions 12 zł.

Fixed and regular events:

None.

Car parking:

There is a car park available next to the site, free of charge.

Places to eat:

Restaurant Parkowa – Hotel

ul. Strzelecka 4, 57-400 Nowa Ruda

tel. 74 872-10-82, 872-47-77

www.parkowa.com.pl/

e-mail: parkowa.nr@op.pl

Restaurant Romantika

pl. Grunwaldzki 3, 57-400 Nowa Ruda

tel. 74 872-52-91

e-mail: romantika@op.pl

Restaurant Kameralna

Rynek 28, 57-400 Nowa Ruda

tel. 74 872-47-11

There is no website or e-mail address available.

Centrum Rekreacyjno-Konferencyjne „HARENDA" (restaurant, gospoda)

ul. Kasprowicza 34, 57-450 Ludwikowice Kłodzkie

tel. 74 872-24-12

www.harenda.biz.pl/

e-mail: harenda@harenda.biz.pl

Accommodation:

Restaurant Parkowa – Hotel

ul. Strzelecka 4, 57-400 Nowa Ruda

tel. 74 872-10-82, 872-47-77

www.parkowa.com.pl/

e-mail: parkowa.nr@op.pl

Centrum Rekreacyjno-Konferencyjne „HARENDA"

ul. Kasprowicza 34, 57-450 Ludwikowice Kłodzkie

tel. 74 872-24-12

www.harenda.biz.pl/

e-mail: harenda@harenda.biz.pl

Turystyczny Dom Noclegowy, Sławomir Banaszek

ul. Sikorskiego 3, 57-450 Jugów

tel. 74 871-84-53, 693-244-303

www.sudety-noclegi.pl

A contact form is available on the website.

Agroturystyka Nad Stawami, Marcin Ćwikła

ul. Piłsudskiego 5a, 57-410 Ścinawka Średnia

tel. 74 871-50-00, 695-414-740

nadstawami.com.pl

A contact form is available on the website.

Schronisko Turystyczne „Orzeł"

Sokolec 52, 57-450 Ludwikowice Kłodzkie

tel. 74 845-72-78

www.orzel.info.pl/

e-mail: schronisko@orzel.info.pl

Tourist Information Office:

Miejsko-Gminny Punkt Informacji Turystycznej

ul. Strzelecka 2a, 57-400 Nowa Ruda (tymczasowo; stała siedziba: Rynek 11)

tel. 74 872-55-96

There is no website available.

e-mail: cit@mok.nowaruda.pl

Opening hours: Monday – Friday from 7.00 a.m. to 3.00 p.m.

 

Gallery