Bolków – Bolków Castle
Wybierz obiekt:

Bolków – Bolków Castle

Bolków Castle was built in the 13th century. It is one of the best recognized castles in Lower Silesia. It towers majestically above the area. It stands on a hill about 400 meters above sea level. Its construction was initiated by duke Bolesław II the Bald (also known as the Horned) and continued by his son, Bolko I. The castle was one of the numerous strongholds protecting the passage through the Sudety Massif, and it guarded the independence of the Duchy of Świdnica and Jawor until the end of the 14th century.

At the beginning it consisted of a residential building and an outhouse. The next stage in its development was the construction of a very characteristic 28m high tower, which has the shape of a tear in section (it was supposed to protect from cannonballs) with walls 4,5 meters thick in the lower parts. Later on a gate was built and the dwelling house was connected with the outbuildings. The castle proved its defensive value many times. It fended off the attacks of King John of Bohemia, who in 1331 came with reinforcements for the Teutonic Knights in their war with Władysław the Short and who in 1335 tried to gain by force control over the Duchy of Świdnica and Jawor. It did not fall during the Hussite Wars, either, although Bolków town was taken then. After the line of the Piasts of Świdnica and Jawor ceased (with the death of Bolko II, followed by the death of his wife, Agnes), the castle became the property of the Bohemian kings.

In 1463 the Bohemian king George of Kunsta and Podebrady appointed Hans von Tschirn a burgrave. This knight was famous for frequently looting merchants traveling the trade route. To restore order in the town the townspeople of Świdnica and Wrocław organised a successful foray and captured the castle.

In the 16th century the appearance of the castle changed considerably as a result of its acquisition of the castle by bishop of Wrocław, Jacob von Salz, who remodeled it in Renaissance style. The fortification was modernized and a second defensive wall was built to support the use of artillery. At that time The Women Dome was raised. During the Thirty Years’ War the fortress was besieged three times and finally surrendered in 1646 under the pressure of the Swedish Army.

The damage caused by cannon fire was severe enough to cost the castle its defensive ability and it was sold to the Order of Cistercians from Krzeszów. The Cistercians adapted the castle to their own needs by adding a chapel next to the approach road. The castle buildings burned twice, in 1720 and 1795. In 1810 the church properties were secularized, the Cistercians were banished and the castle came under the control of the Prussian authority’s. Unfortunately, no one was interested in reconstructing it. The stones and bricks of the dwelling house were used as building material. In the 19th century the first museum was opened, and it was reactivated after 1945.

At present the castle houses a subsidiary of the District Museum in Jelenia Góra and is being restored. The museum is located in the Women Dome, where a visitor can find models of castles and medieval armoury. The castle tower is a perfect observation point from which one can see the Świny Castle and other interesting sites.

Contact:

Muzeum Zamek Bolków

59-420 Bolków 

tel. 75 741-32-97

www.zamek-bolkow.info.pl

e-mail: kustosz@zamek-bolkow.info.pl

How to get there:

The site is located about 82 km from Wrocław; it takes about an hour and 15 minutes. Take the A4 highway in the direction of Zgorzelec, after 27 km take an exit to country road no. 5, go past Strzegom, Dobromierz and you will reach Bolków.

Visiting:

May – September, Monday – Friday from 9.00 a.m. to 4.00 p.m., Saturdays and Sundays from 9.00 a.m. to 6.00 p.m. The Museum is closed on Mondays – then it can only be viewed from the outside.

October and April: Sunday and Saturday from 9.00 a.m. to 5.00 p.m.

November – March: Saturday and Sunday from 9.00 a.m. to 4.00 p.m.

Fixed and regular events:

June – the Days of Bolków, the Days of the Knights’ Culture

July – the Castle Party Fest

September – the 17th-century Knights Picnic

Car parking:

There is a car park available. 

Gallery

Places to eat:

Karczma „Podgórzanka”

ul. Kamiennogórska 3, 59-420 Kaczorów

tel. 75 741-21 14, 608-043-638

www.podgorzanka.com.pl

e-mail: 608043638@eranet.pl

Restauracja „Nad Potokiem”

ul. Jeleniogórska 17. 59-420 Kaczorów

tel. 75 741-21-78

www.nadpotokiem.com

e-mail: nadpotokiem@op.pl

Zajazd Przy Kominku”

Nowe Rochowice 22, 59-420 Bolków

tel. 75 74-13-299, 604-973-622

www.przykominku.pnet.pl

e-mail: zajazd@przykominku.pnet.pl

Accommodation:

Camping Pod Lasem

Świny 17, 59-420 Bolków

tel. 75 741-43-78, 508-677-106

www.campingpodlasem.pl

e-mail: info@campingpodlasem.pl

Hotel Bolków

ul. Sienkiewicza 17, 59-420 Bolków

tel. 75 741-39-95

www.hotel-bolkow.pl

e-mail: a contact form is available on the website.

Chata Morgana Agroturystyka

Jastrowiec 15, 59-420 Bolków

tel. 75 745-02-00, 605-339-675

www.chatamorgana.ig.pl

e-mail: chatamorgana@ig.pl

Hotel Panorama

ul. Adama Mickiewicza 6, 59-420 Bolków

tel. 75 741-34-44, 606-33-938

www.panoramashs.superturystyka.pl

e-mail: a contact form is available on the website.

Zajazd Przy Kominku”

Nowe Rochowice 22, 59-420 Bolków

tel. 75 74-13-299, 604-973-622

www.przykominku.pnet.pl

e-mail: zajazd@przykominku.pnet.pl

Tourist Information Office:

Gminne Centrum Informacji Turystycznej

Rynek 3, 59-400 Jawor

tel./fax 76 870-33-71

www.gcit.jawor.pl

e-mail: poczta@gcit.jawor.pl