Ząbkowice Śląskie – a castle with the adjacent surroundings
Wybierz obiekt:

Ząbkowice Śląskie – a castle with the adjacent surroundings

The castle in Ząbkowice Śląskie (former name: Frankenstein), which has survived to this day, was built on the site of an earlier castle from the 14th century built at the initiative of duke Bernard of  Świdnica. In the first half of the 15th century the building, destroyed during the Hussite wars, passed into the hands of the governor of the Kingdom of Bohemia - George of Poděbrady. Despite its massive fortifications, the fortress was captured in 1468 by the townspeople of Wrocław, Świdnica and Nysa, rebelling against the authority of George of Poděbrady. The castle was captured again in 1489 by Matthias Corvinus, king of Hungary and Croatia. The new headquarters of the Poděbrady family were built there between 1522 and 1532 at the initiative of Charles I of Poděbrady and his wife, Anna Żagańska. The design of the Renaissance fortress was drawn up by Benedict Ried, an architect of Vladislaus II, the king of Bohemia. Most of the walls of the old castle were demolished. The new structure was built of sand stone on a square plan. Two three-storey, cylindrical bastilles allowed the opening of flank fire and the effective driving back of the enemy. The bastilles were equipped with atticos with shooting slots. The courtyard was decorated with cloisters, some of the first in this part of Europe. Above the gate there was a tower. The main portal, made of freestone, was rather plain and poorly decorated. Next to it there was a narrow wicket gate for  pedestrians. Over the years the castle was repeatedly damaged as a result of attacks by the imperial and Swedish armies. Despite partial reconstrucion work carried out in the 1650’s and attempts to preserve the building in the 18th century,  it was abandoned in 1728. In 1784 it was consumed by fire.

Today the castle is a ruin. Only the main walls, the gate tower and parts of the bastilles have been preserved. The castle basement is in the best condition. The site is an interesting example of a Gothic defensive castle converted into a Renaissance residence.

 

Contact:

None (ruins).

 

How to get there:

Ząbkowice Śląskie is situated 65 km south of Wrocław. The ruins are located in the north-east part of Ząbkowice Śląskie, on a high hill, near the park, in Krzywa street. It takes about 20 minutes to walk (the distance) from the train station to the site.

 

Visiting:

Admission is free.

 

Fixed and regular events taking place on the site:

None.

 

Car parking:

It is possible to park next to the ruins.

 

Places to eat:

Pierzeja s. c.                                      

Rynek 14, 57 – 200 Ząbkowice Śląskie

tel. 74 815-12-65

 

Pod Arkadami. Restauracja

Rynek 22, 57 – 200 Ząbkowice Śląskie

tel. 74 641-00-04

 

Restauracja w Hotelu Apollo

Szklary – Huta 26, 57 – 200 Ząbkowice Śląskie

tel. 662-479-251

 

Accommodation:

Podzamcze. Hotel

ul. Armii Krajowej 46, Ząbkowice Śląskie

tel. 74 641-17-77, 601-696-383

e-mail: vimar@op.pl

 

Hotel Apollo

Szklary – Huta 26, 57 – 200 Ząbkowice Śląskie

tel.  662-479-251

www.hotelapollo.nocowanie.pl

A contact form is available on the website.

 

Gospodarstwo Agroturystyczne Pałac Kietlin

Kietlin 28, 58 - 230 Niemcza

tel. 74 837-87-05

www.palac-kietlin.com

e-mail: info@palac-kietlin.com

           

Tourist information office:

Powiatowe Centrum Informacji Turystycznej

ul. św. Wojciecha 5/1, 57 – 200 Ząbkowice Śląskie

tel. 74 815-74-01

www.ziemiazabkowicka.pl

e-mail: promocja@zabkowice-powiat.pl

Opening hours: Monday - Friday 8.30 a.m. – 3.30 p.m., Saturday 10.00 a.m. - 2.00 p.m.; (V-IX) Sunday 10.00 a.m. - 2.00 p.m.