Wilkanów – a palace, a garden, a disused palace, a palace park – a garden establishment
Wybierz obiekt:

Wilkanów – a palace, a garden, a disused palace, a palace park – a garden establishment

The Baroque palace in Wilkanów (former Wölfelsdorf) was probably constructed between 1681 and 1684 as a result of the redevelopment of a Renaissance manor, dated back to the 16th century, into a summer residence for the von Althann family from Międzylesie. Its construction was initiated by Michael Wenzel II von Althann and was carried out to a design by Jacobo Carove. Further extensions of the building took place around 1700 and 1730. At that time the annexes and the Cour d’honneur were built together with a garden in the French style which was created on the north side of the castle to a design by André Le Nostre. The building was built on a quadrangle plan. There are four storeys, the last of which served as an attic and was separated from the other storeys by cornice moldings. The building covered an area of 4500 square meters and included 500 rooms. There are pilasters on the elevations high up to the level of the cornices, while on the front side there is a richly decorated portal. It was a three-bay castle with a hall on the axis. Impressive wide stairs were built there. Some chambers were covered with barrel vaults and murals. The two-storey ball room, situated on the second floor, was very rich in decoration. On the ceiling there was a fresco by F. Bartsch depicting scenes from Ovid’s works. On the walls there were medallions depicting scenes from the battles fought by the Althann family. The ball room and the impressive dining room with a cavetto vault were damaged when the roof collapsed.

In 1945 the building was only partially damaged. From the end of World War II until 1970 the palace was owned by a State Agricultural Farm and was falling into disrepair. In the 1980’s and 1990’s the site was renovated in an attempt to convert it into a hotel. Four gatehouses received new ceilings and roofs, while the palace got new ceilings. In 1991 the building was taken over by the district of Bystrzyca Kłodzka and was put up for sale. In the flood of 1997 the walls were damaged and some of the walls of the building collapsed. Today the palace is a ruin. Only the outbuildings and the remains of the park (overgrown by shrubs) have survived to this day. If the building were renovated, it would be one of the most valuable monuments of the Land of Kłodzko. Not long ago some frescoes and elements of the interior décor still in a pretty good state, however, not even the interior walls have survived until today. The building is not adequately strengthened and may collapse.

 

Contact:

There is no contact available (a ruin).

 

How to get there:

Wilkanów is situated about 8 km south of Bystrzyca Kłodzka. At the beginning of the village take a left turn towards Międzylesie and drive about 3 km. The palace is situated in the centre of the village, by the road.

 

Visiting:

Admission is free.

 

Fixed and regular events taking place on the site:

None.

 

Car parking:

It is possible to park next to the ruin.

Places to eat:

Pizzeria Modano

Mały Rynek 2, 57 – 500 Bystrzyca Kłodzka

tel. 74 811-13-72

 

Restauracja EXpansja

ul. Sienkiewicza 2, 57 – 500 Bystrzyca Kłodzka

tel. 74 811-13-13

www.restauracja-expansja.pl

 

Restauracja Złoty Róg

ul. Wojska Polskiego 3, 57 – 500 Międzygórze

tel. 74 813-51-25

 

Accommodation:

U Gieni Gospodarstwo Agroturystyczne

Wilkanów 150 A, 57 – 500 Bystrzyca Kłodzka

tel. 74 813-60-71

 

Ośrodek Wczasowy Sorrento

Marianówka 3, 57 – 500 Bystrzyca Kłodzka

tel. 74 813-00-39, 74 813-01-60

www.sorrento.pl

 

Dom Pod Błękitnym Dachem

ul. Wojska Polskiego 13, 57 – 530 Międzylesie

tel. 74 813-52-04

www.jotem.magma-net.pl