Wierzbna – a complex, a fortified monastery church of the Cistercians
Wybierz obiekt:

Wierzbna – a complex, a fortified monastery church of the Cistercians, today the Parish Church of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary, the Cistercian Abbots’s Palace.

The post-Cistercian complex in Wierzbna included, the Parish Church of the Assumption  of the Blessed Virgin Mary, and a palace built for the Cistercian Abbot of Krzeszów
The church was built in the early 13th century. Originally it belonged to the Wierzbno family until 1315, when the Bishop Henry of Wierzbno, passed the sanctuary to the Cistercians of Kamieniec. In 1585, the church was sold to the Cistercians of Krzeszów, who founded the abbey prepositura there.

It is a granite, Romanesque church with a monumental two-tower façade. In the years 1729-1730, the Cistercians added a Baroque body of the church, changing its orientation. As a result of this expansion, the old church became a porch of the new structure. Inside, in the chancel, there are: fragments of murals from the 15th century, Baroque altars from the early 18th century, a painting depicting the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary, which is placed in the main altar, a pulpit and a baptismal font from the late 18th century.

In the early 18th century, some single-storey brick buildings on rectangular plans were added, for the needs of the Cistercian Order of Krzeszów. In the late 19th century the building was deserted and was then damaged after World War II; currently it remains in a state of disrepair.

The Cistercian palace was built in the second half of the 17th century, as a summer residence for the abbot of Krzeszów, Bernhard Rosa. It was erected on the site of the first residential tower from the first half of the 15th century, which was expanded by adding two wings during reconstruction in the 17th century. A three-winged, two-storey palace was thus built. After secularization, and the acquisition of the church property by the state of Prussia, the palace was sold. It then became the property of the Malttzan family, and then of the Waldenburg family. It was renovated in the 19th century, the 1920’s and the 1930’s. Original vaults with stucco decorations have been preserved on the ground floor. During World War II Soviet troops were stationing here, then the building was converted into a state agricultural farm. The palace was destroyed in 2002, the ruined remains of the abbey were bought from the authorities by the Chudów Foundation. Since then, the building has been renovated. On the south side of the palace there is a park.

 

Contact: 

Roman-Catholic Parish of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary

(Parafia rzymskokatolicka Wniebowzięcia NMP)

ul. Kościelna 6, 58-130 Wierzbna

tel. 74 857-02-26

There is no website or e-mail address available.

 

Fundacja „Zamek Chudów”

ul. Podzamcze 6, Chudów, 44-177 Paniówki

tel. 32 330-13-00, 32 445-02-62, fax 32 330-13-01

www.zamekchudow.pl

e-mail: biuro@zamekchudow.pl

 

How to get there:

Wierzbna is situated in the county of Świdnica, in the community of Żarów, about 7 km from Świdnica and about 60 km from Wrocław.

 

Visiting:

The site is open to visitors, it is not fenced.

 

Fixed and regular events taking place on the site:

None.

 

Car Parking:

It is possible to park in the vicinity of the site, no charge.

 

Places to eat:

 

Restauracja „Pod Wierzbą”

ul. Częstochowska 1, 58-100 Świdnica

tel. 74 857-81-44, 74 852-22-88, 608-028-079

www.hotelpodwierzba.pl

e-mail: biuro@hotelpodwierzba.pl

 

Karczma „Zagłoba”

ul. Wrocławska 46, 58-100 Świdnica

tel. 74 851-22-36

www.zagloba.info

e-mail: karczma@zagloba.info

 

Pizzeria „Savona”

ul. Teatralna 19, Świdnica

tel. 74 853-71-64

pizzeria-savona.pl

 

Restauracja „Stary Młyn”

ul. Łączna 4, 58-100 Świdnica

tel. 74 857-88-99

 

 

Accommodation:

Park Hotel

ul. Pionierów 20, Świdnica

tel. 74 853-77-22, fax 74 853-70-98

www.park-hotel.com.pl

e-mail: hotel@park-hotel.com.pl

 

Hotel i Restauracja „Piast Roman”

ul. Kotlarska 11, Świdnica

tel. 74 852-13-93, fax 74 852-34-77

www.hotel-piast-roman.pl

e-mail: recepcja@hotel-piast-roman.pl

 

Schronisko PTSM

ul. Kanonierska 3, Świdnica

tel./fax 74 857-70-50, 74 852-26-45

www.ssm.swidnica.pl

e-mail: rezerwacje@ssm.swidnica.pl

 

Tourist Information Office:

Informacja Turystyczna w Świdnicy

ul. Wewnętrzna 2 (Rynek), 58-100 Świdnica

tel. 74 852-02-90

e-mail: it@um.swidnica.pl

 

Lokalna Organizacja Turystyczna - Księstwo Świdnicko-Jaworskie

Rynek 38 (4. p.), 58-100 Świdnica

www.ks-j.pl

e-mail: biuro@ks-j.pl