The centre of Tourist and Cultural Information, Wrocław - the palace, presently the Community Centre (Leśnica) Świętojański square
Wybierz obiekt:

The centre of Tourist and Cultural Information, Wrocław - the palace, presently the Community Centre (Leśnica) pl. Świętojański

Leśnica is an old village which since 1928 has been a part of Wrocław. In Leśnica there is a very interesting palace, currently in the Baroque style, with a vast and beautiful park next to it.

A grad (a type of medieval settlement) probably existed in Leśnica as early as 1132. In 1201 Boleslaus the Tall died there. Later it was owned by Henry the Bearded - during his rule a brick wall was erected, the remains of which are in the basement in the current building (the wall was mentioned in a document from 1271). The dukes used the grad in Leśnica as a stop-over point during their journeys between Wrocław and Legnica. In the late 13th century the castle was passed over to the townsfolk of Wrocław, and ever since the structure has remained in the hands of the city fathers, serving as a suburban mansion. In 1733 it was bought by the Order of the Knights of the Cross with the Red Star. The order rebuilt the structure to a design by Christoph Kackner. The existing two wings were joined at that time into one building and the elevation was unified, the old style of the inside was maintained. The next owner, Baron Ferdinand von Mudrach reconstructed the interior in 1752-1757 in the Rococo style of Frederician Rococo. Before 1800 the moat was filled in and part of the fortifications were demolished. In 1836 a park was founded, and some of the rooms were remodeled. Around 1900 part of the moat was dig out once again, and a quasi-defense wall with merlons was erected at the entrance to the park. Also, the bannisters were added to the terraces above the fortified towers and the casemates were constructed. After 1945 the mansion was gradually becoming ruined, and in 1953 it burned down (although it was being used at the time, ironically, by the Centre of the Fire-resistant Materials Industry). The ruins were planned to be demolished, but fortunately that did not happen. The fire and subsequent renovation led to the almost complete destruction of the Baroque decoration and interior furnishings.

Such notable guests as, for example, the Roman Emperors Charles IV, Maximilian II, Matthias II, duke Jérôme-Napoléon Bonaparte and Marshal Michel Ney all stayed in the castle in Leśnica at one time or another.

The  mansion in Leśnica has two wings and a basement; it is a plastered brick three-tier building with corner alcoves. The castle is surrounded by the original bastions with embrasures in the shape of a keyhole; the complex together gives an impression of a terrace (with so-called salients from the eastern part, where the main entrance was built).

To the north of the palace, going along the banks of Bystrzyca, there is a landscape park designed by Joseph Peter Lenné, the creator of the Sanssouci Park in Potsdam. After 1945 the park was destroyed. Around 2003 the first stage of reconstruction was conducted according to a design by Halina Krajewska and her team, based on an  idea by Lenné.

Presently the palace houses the Community Centre ‘Zamek’. The exterior of the palace, the surroundings and the park are well maintained and freely accessible, but unfortunately the inside is completely devoid of historic decoration. To the south, in front of the palace, one can find a wall with crenellation which separates the main building from a square where there are statues of the Virgin Mary and St. John of Nepomuk, funded in 1743 by the Knights with the Red Star from Wrocław.

 

Contact:

Cultural Centre ‘The Castle’ -‘Zamek’

Plac Świętojański 1, 54-076 Wrocław

tel. 71 349-35-36

www.zamek.wroclaw.pl

There is no e-mail address available.

 

How to get there:

From the city centre - take road 94 in the direction of Środa Śląska (ul Legnicka, Lotnicza, Kosmonautów).

 

Visiting:

The park is generally available, the castle can be viewed from the outside. The interiors (without the monumental décor) can be seen during the opening hours of the ZAMEK Art Gallery (10.00 a.m. – 6.00 p.m.) and during organized events.

 

Fixed and regular events taking place on the site:

§  Good Beer Festival – May

§  St. John’s Night, Days of Fantasy – June

§  “Jarmark Jadwiżański” – St. Hedwig’s Fair (on Sunday at the beginning of October) – a historical fair

§  International Short Story Festival – November

§  In the Centre there are numerous concerts, exhibitions and workshops organised.

 

Car parking:

In front of the castle (Świętojański square).

 

Places to eat:

Hotel Bugatti

ul. Kosmonautów 328, 54-041 Wrocław

tel. 71 349-35-23

www.hotelbugatti.pl

e-mail: hotel@hotelbugatti.pl

 

Pizzeria „Lissa”

ul. Średzka 25, 54-041 Wrocław

tel. 71 349-36-06

www.pizzalissa.pl

e-mail: poczta@lissa.pl

 

Pub Restauracja “Lissa”

ul. Średzka 25, 54-041

tel. 71349-21-07, 601-566-092

www.pub-lissa.pl

e-mail: poczta@pub-lissa.pl

 

Karczma Rzym

ul. Jarnołtowska 85b, 54-530 Wrocław

tel. 71 349-48-02

www.karczmarzym.pl

e-mail: karczmarzym@karczmarzym.pl

 

Restauracja Orle Gniazdo

ul. Strachowicka 42a, 54-512 Wrocław

tel. 71 354-47-47

www.restauracjaorlegniazdo.pl

e-mail: orlegniazdo@bisek.com.pl

 

Accommodation:

Hotel Bugatti

ul. Kosmonautów 328, 54-041 Wrocław

tel. 71 349-35-23

www.hotelbugatti.pl

e-mail: hotel@hotelbugatti.pl

 

Wrocławskie Przedsiębiorstwo Usług Hotelarskich

Domy Turystyczne „Trio” i „Solo”

„Trio”

ul. Trzemeska 10, 53-679 Wrocław

tel./fax. 71 355-94-46, 71 355-84-93

www.puhot.pl

e-mail: trzemeska@puhot.pl

„Solo”

ul. Kwiska 1/3, 54-210 Wrocław

tel. 71 351-70-11, 71 351-63-07

www.puhot.pl

e-mail: kwiska@puhot.pl

 

Hotel Podróżnik

ul. Sucha 1, 50-086 Wrocław

tel. 71 373-28-45

There is no website or e-mail address available.

 

Tourist information office

Centrum Informacji Turystycznej The Meeting Point

Rynek 14, 50 – 101 Wrocław

tel. 71 344-31-11/12

www.um.wroc.pl

e-mail: info@itwroclaw.pl