Sułów – a palace, a palace park
Wybierz obiekt:

Sułów – a palace, a palace park

The palace in Sułów was built in 1680 as a residence of the count Burghaus family. The three-storey, three-bay structure was built on a rectangular plan with a small risalit on the axis. It is covered with a hipped, mansard roof. Despite the numerous renovations, the interior décor and the exterior elements show signs of the early Baroque. A well preserved Rococo tile stove from the second half of the 18th century has also survived. The large park, situated next to the palace, was founded in 1775 at the initiative of Johan Sylvius von Burghaus. A wooden cabin – a hermitage with a wooden, life-size sculpture depicting a monk, Brother Lorenzo bent over the Bible, was the main attraction of the park (now the sculpture is located in one of Warsaw's museums.) In 1817, after Sylvius’s death – the last member of the Burghaus family from Sułów line, the palace was inherited by his daughter, Julia, who married baron von Troschke. However, they did not live long in the palace. In 1821, the building was taken over by Count von Schweinitz – Krain and his family, who remained the owners of the palace until 1945. According to the memoirs of Carl Friedrich Schweinitz, who left the palace as a child in 1945, there was a tennis court in the southern part of the park, and the walled pond constituted then a beautiful fountain with colourful, exotic fish (after the outbreak of war, carp were kept there for food.)  The last owner of the palace before the war was the Royal Prussian rotamaster, Count Friedrich-Krein Schweinitz. After World War II Łódź textile factories established a holiday centre for their workers’ children in the palace. Between 1964 and 1965 the building was restored. After the change in political system, the complex was taken over by the municipality, which put the palace up for sale.

Currently, the palace in Sułów is in the hands of a Polish-Italian company called Polish Hinting 3. It can be viewed only from the outside. From the front, there are wide, ornamental stairs leading to the portal. The palace is surrounded by a 11 hectare landscaped park in the English tyle.

 

Contact:

ul. Zamkowa 5, Sułów

 

How to get there:

The village of Sułów is situated in the area of the Milicz Ponds (Stawy Milickie) in the valley of the river Barycz. It is located about 8 km from Milicz and 19 km from Żmigród. It is possible to take a Polbus bus (former PKS) from Milicz – it takes about 25 minutes to get to Sułów.

 

Visiting:

The site is not open to visitors.

 

Fixed and regular events taking place on the site:

None.

 

Car parking:

There is no car park available in the vicinity.

 

Places to eat:

U Romana. Bar

Sułów 11, 56 - 300 Milicz

tel. 95 759-93-45

 

Hotel i Restauracja Pałacowa

ul. Piłsudskiego 5, 56 – 300 Milicz

tel. 71 383-02-03

www.reges.pl/palacowa.htm

e-mail: palacowa@reges.pl

 

Pelikan Bar

ul. Działkowa, 56 – 300 Milicz

tel. 71 383-20-18

 

Accommodation:

Ośrodek Wypoczynkowy EPA

ul. Leśna, 56 – 306 Sułów

tel. 661-896-083, 609-449-949

www.sulow-owepa.pl

 

Gospodarstwo Agroturystyczne

Sułów, ul. Parkowa 8, 56 – 300 Milicz

tel. 71 384-75-77, 604-401-725

 

Przystań u Grażyny. Ośrodek Wypoczynkowy

Sułów, ul. Leśna 8, 56 – 306 Wrocław

tel. 503-091-610

 

Tourist information office:

Centrum Informacji Turystycznej

pl. ks. Eugeniusza Waresiaka 7, 56 - 300 Milicz

tel. 71 383-00-35

e-mail: it@milicz.pl

Opening hours: Tuesday – Friday from 8.00 a.m. to 5.00 p.m., Saturday – from 10.00 a.m. to 4.00 p.m.

 

Oddział PTTK Krotoszyn. Biuro Obsługi Ruchu Turystycznego

ul. Mały Rynek 1, 63 – 700 Krotoszyn

tel. 627-252-615

www.pttk.krotoszyn.pl