Płakowice - Lwówek Śląski - the palace, currently ‘Elim’ Christian Centre
Wybierz obiekt:

Płakowice - Lwówek Śląskie - the palace, currently ‘Elim’ Christian Centre

The most precious monument in Płakowice (now a part of Lwówek Śląski) is the Renaissance castle, which used to be part of the biggest residential complex in Silesia. The storied arcades surrounding the yard were the reason why the ‘tourist name’ of ‘Little Wawel’ was given to it.

From around 1330 until 1530 Płakowice was owned by the von Raussendorf family, which reputedly had a castle there, by the river Bóbr. According to the 19th century researcher K.A. Müller, its ruins existed until 1815, when they were destroyed by flood. In 1501 the upper part of the village came into the hands of Christoph Talkenberg through marriage. His son Rampol decided to leave the medieval castle of Podskale and in 1550 he began the construction of a mansion which no longer exists. Until 1563 the building process was managed by Francesco Parr, an Italian mason who had decided to settle in Silesia.

Using the term ‘castle’ with the reference to the Renaissance settlement is only done out of consideration for tradition. In reality it is a representative mansion house, which does not have any defensive elements apart from some rather nominal alcoves. Nevertheless, at first it was surrounded by a moat and earth ramparts with artillery posts (nowadays there are absolute no sings of there features). In conclusion, this it would be the type of residence that is called palazzo in forteza.

The castle has three three-tier wings  embracing a rectangular inner yard (28x18m). It is surrounded by arcades with rich sculptured decoration which have a cloister with a stone banister above them. Originally the yard was open from east and enclosed only by the moat. Later it was enclosed with a curtain wall. The body of the building is enriched by several risalits. The portal with an entrance topped by a round arch is based on the model of a triumphal gate, praising the name of the palace owners. On the gate there is an inscription of the castle’s foundation, medallions with bas-reliefs of the portraits of the founder and his wife, a coat of arms showing their ancestral line and a laurel ornament.

The barrel and cross vault and the profiled joists have been preserved inside, along with the remains of the polychrome from 1558.

 

In the 18th century baron von Hochberg became the owner of the castle and the estate. He was a music lover and an art collector. At this time the interior of the palace was remodeled. In 1824 the glorious period of the mansion in Płakowice came to an end. Count August Ludwik Ferdynand von Nostitz-Rieneck, a general and aide-de-camp of the Prussian king, sold the building to the district of Legnica, which designated the building to be a psychiatric hospital. The thorough remodelling of the interior was carried out in order to adopt the structure for its new purpose. After the last war, the castle remained unused and it deteriorated until it was in danger of collapse.

 

Since November of 1992 the palace has been owned by a Baptist church, which carries out widespread maintenance work on the building. The Elim Christian Centre is based there; it runs religious, rehabilitation and detox camps.

 

Contact:

Kościół Chrześcijan Baptystów „ELIM”

ul. Pałacowa 4, 59-600 Lwówek Śląski

tel. 75 782-39-94

www.elimcenter.pl

e-mail: elimcenter@jg.home.pl

 

How to get there:

Take road no. 364 from the centre of Lwówek in the direction of Złotoryja. Follow Betleja street, the bridge over the Bóbr and Złotoryjska street and turn right into Pałacowa street.

 

Visiting:

The palace is open to visitors. The courtyard is freely accessible.

 

Fixed and regular events taking place on the site:

None.

 

Car parking:

There is a car park adjacent to the building.

 

Places to eat:

Restauracja „Pod Czarnym Krukiem”

ul. Słowackiego 1, 59-600 Lwówek Śląski

tel. 75 782-42-66

There is no website or e-mail address available.

 

Hotel „Piast”

ul. Jaśkiewicza 1, 59-600 Lwówek Śląski

tel. 75 647-79-50, fax 75 782-46-15

www.piastlwoweksl.pl

e-mail: recepcja@piastlwoweksl.pl

 

Bar mleczny „Mikro”

ul. Dworcowa,  59-600 Lwówek Śląski

tel. 75 647-77-27

There is no website or e-mail address available.

 

Pizzeria „U Izy Karwat”

al. Wojska Polskiego 26, 59-600 Lwówek Śląski

tel. 75 782-41-51

There is no website or e-mail address available.

 

Accommodation:

Hotel „Olimp”

ul. Kościuszki 3, 59-600 Lwówek Śląski

tel. 75 782-46-96

osir.lwowekslaski.pl

e-mail: osir_lwowek@poczta.onet.pl

 

Hotel „Piast”

ul. Jaśkiewicza 1, 59-600 Lwówek Śląski

tel. 75 647-79-50, fax 75 782-46-15

www.piastlwoweksl.pl

e-mail: recepcja@piastlwoweksl.pl

 

Pałac Brunów

Brunów 27, 59-600 Lwówek Śląski

tel. 75 784-02-10, 75 784-68-28

brunow.pl

e-mail: recepcja@brunow.pl      

 

„Wczasy Na Wulkanie” Gospodarstwo Agroturystyczne

Dłużec 27, 59-600 Lwówek Śląski

tel. 75 784-22-46, 608-416-085

There is no website address available

e-mail: info@dluzec27.com

 

„Dom pod Kasztanowcem” Gospodarstwo Agroturystyczne

Rakowice Małe 6, 59-600 Lwówek Śląskie

tel. 75 789-87-36, 600-656-445

http://dompodkasztanowcem.eu

A contact form is available on the website.

 

Tourist information office:

Tourist information office

pl. Wolności 1, 59-600 Lwówek Śląski

tel. 75 647-79-12

There is no website or e-mail address available.