Kłodzko - the fortress complex - the stronghold
Wybierz obiekt:

Kłodzko - the fortress complex - the stronghold

The town of Kłodzko is situated in the centre of a valley, next to the road connecting Prague, through Wrocław, with Gniezno or Krakow, at the point where the path goes through a narrow valley of the Nysa Kłodzka river. It has been an important strategic site since the 10th century. That is why the place always constituted a significant defensive site, originally featuring a grad (a type of early settlement), later a castle and since the 17th century a stronghold. Now it is a monument of modern fortification technology and one of the tourist attractions of the town. The upper castle with brick buildings, two baileys and a tower were constructed on the Castle Mountain in the 16th century. In 1557 the architect of duke Ernst of Bavaria, Lorenz Krischke, erected the Renaissance lower castle beneath the older part, on a rocky mountain above the town.

Between 1621 and 1622 the Bohemian army of count Bernard von Thurn built the outer fortification - the Great Sconce (Wielki Szaniec) and the Small Sconce (Mały Szaniec), composing a so-called crownwork, which consists of three earth bastions. The work, managed by an unknown Dutch engineer, is considered to have set the foundations the stronghold. The emperor’s army besieged and conquered Kłodzko in heave combat (September 5 - October 28, 1622). The damage from the siege and an explosion of 5 tons of gunpowder in 1627 forced the Austrians to rebuild and modernise the fortress in the face of the danger of a potential Swedish siege. Between 1640 and 1641 the field fortifications were rebuilt into permanent ones. Also ravelins were added between the bastions of the crownwork.

In 1742 the stronghold passed into Prussian hands. The new owners immediately started extension and modernisation work, according to designs by a Dutchman, Gerard Cornelius Walrawe, under the management of lieutenant von Wrede. More outer fortifications were built in a post-medieval star wall system - the Big Star, a contre-garde, the Crane redoubt, a completely new fort on the Owcza Mountain and the construction of a large system of anti-mine tunnels in front of the fortress.

In 1760 the stronghold was stormed and conquered for the first and only time by the army of Austrian general Gideon von Laudon. After the end of the Seven Years’ War it was restored to Prussia. The extension of the fortress continued. Between 1770 and 1774 the remains of the medieval castle were demolished and a donjon was erected on their site, which was a kind of ‘inner stronghold’. At the beginning of the 19th century the fortress served as a military camp and a circle of earth redoubts was built to encompass it. The modernisation work lasted until the 1870s. After that the importance of the stronghold decreased, but until World War II it served military purpose (as an administrative facility, stores and a prison)

Today the fortress of Kłodzko is considered to be the most valuable modern fortified complex in Poland. It represents various systems and schools. After the removal of factories, the fortress is gradually being renovated and made available to tourists. 



Twierdza Kłodzka

ul. Grodzisko 1, 57-300 Kłodzko

(the fortress is administered by: Zakład Administracji Mieszkaniami Gminnymi Gminy Miejskiej Kłodzko Spółka z o.o., ul. Grunwaldzka 29, 57-300 Kłodzko, tel.: 74 647-21-30)

tel. 74 867-34-68


A contact form is available on the website, bookmark: contact – localization.


How to get there:

Get to the centre of Kłodzko, then walk to the fortress.



An entrance fee is required, organized groups visit the site with local guides.

Opening hours: April – October: from 9.00 a.m. to 6.00 p.m., November – March: fromm 9.00 a.m. to 3.00 p.m., the entrance is possible every 30 minutes.

Ticket prices: the terrestrial part and the mining corridors: normal ticket – 16 zł, concessions – 12 zł, the terrestrial part or the mining corridors only: normal ticket – 10 zł, concessions – 8 zł.

Fort on the Sheep Mountain – accessible, but not adjusted to tourists; individual visiting.


Fixed and regular events:

The Days of the Fortress of Kłodzko – mid-August, historical reconstructions and additional events (concerts, a fair etc.)


Car parking:

In Daszyńskiego street (a bystreet of Kościuszki Street, over the Młynówka river) there is an attended car park where a parking fee is required. There are also parking lots in the western edge of Armii Krajowej Street (access from Noworudzka Street).


Places to eat:

Restauracja Forteczna

Kurtyna Tumska-Twierdza Kłodzka, 57-300 Kłodzko

tel. 74 867-19-55


e-mail: biuro@forteczna.klodzko.pl


Restauracja Nad Wodospadem

ul. Malczewskiego 7a, 57-300 Kłodzko

tel. 74 867-61-45


e-mail: biuro@nadwodospadem.ng.pl


Restauracja Oregano

ul. Daszyńskiego 10, 57-300 Kłodzko

tel. 74 865-90-99

There is no website available.

There is no e-mail address available.


Restauracja Pan Tadeusz

ul. Grottgera 7, 57-300 Kłodzko

tel. 74 865-87-35

There is no website available.

There is no e-mail address available.


Restauracja Śnieżnik (Hotel Marhaba)

ul. Daszyńskiego 16, 57-300 Kłodzko

tel. 74 865-99-33


e-mail: marhaba@netgate.com.pl


Restauracja W Ratuszu

pl. Chrobrego 3, 57-300 Kłodzko

tel. 74 865-81-45


e-mail: info@wratuszu.pl



Hotel Marhaba

ul. Daszyńskiego 16, 57-300 Kłodzko

tel. 74 865-99-33


e-mail: marhaba@netgate.com.pl


Hotel Korona

ul. Noworudzka 1, 57-300 Kłodzko

tel. 74 867-37-37


e-mail: hotel-korona@wp.pl

Hotel Metro

Boguszyn 79b, 57-300 Kłodzko

tel. 74 811-92-10


e-mail: recepcja@hotelmetro.pl




Hotel Kukułka

Jaszkówka, 57-300 Kłodzko

tel. 74 867-93-30

There is no website available.

There is no e-mail address available.


Szkolne Schronisko Młodzieżowe (Kłodzkie Centrum Kultury, Sportu i Rekreacji)

ul. Nadrzeczna 5, 57-300 Kłodzko

tel. 74 867-25-24



Tourist Information Office:

Regionalna Informacja Turystyczna

pl. Bolesława Chrobrego 1, 57-300 Kłodzko

tel. 74 865-89-70, 74 867-70-07

e-mail: rit@un.klodzko.pl