Jelenia Góra - Sobieszów - Caslte „Chojnik", XV/XVI
Wybierz obiekt:

Sobieszów – Chojnik Castle

The castle was erected around 1355 on the top of the rocky Chojnik Mountain, at the initiative from Bolko II the Small, the duke of Świdnica and Jawor. After his death his wife Agnes took charge of the duchy, whereas after her death in 1392 the castle became the property of Gotsche II Schoff. The new owner placed a chapel above the entrance gate. This chapel of St. George and St. Catherine has been partly restored.

In the 15th century the stronghold was considerably extended by the addition of a lower bailey with outhouses on the northwestern side, and a kitchen, basements and court room on the southern side. A pillory was built in the middle of the irregularly shaped yard. Some stone tanks were created in the area of the baileys. Another modernization was carried out in the first half of the 16th century, when a third, walled yard was created. The new buildings contained: stables, a tower (where captives were starved in the dungeons), another rock tank and the residence of the burgrave of the castle. An oblong bastion was constructed next to the main building in 1560. The estate was taken over by the crown in 1634, after the beheading of Hans Ulrich Schaffgotsch. Part of the precious heirlooms became the property of the Prussian treasury of Ferdinand II. In the end, Chojnik was restored to the famous Silesian family of Schaffgotsch in 1649. The castle remained in their hands until it burned down in 1675, having been struck by lightning. From 1822 an inn stood on the site of the former castle. The northern bastion was converted into a hostel in 1860. The castle was thoroughly renovated in 1864.

Now Chojnik Castle is a picturesque ruin. It is open to the public. The castle offers accommodation (the hostel can house 30 people), an eating place (the buffet is opened between 9 a.m. and 6 p.m.) and a souvenir shop. Many additional attractions await visitors: one can listen to legends connected with the castle, shoot from a crossbow or climb to the top of the tower and admire the breath-taking views. The castle has been the headquarters of the Knighthood Association since the 1990s.

 

Contact:

Zamek Chojnik

 58 - 570 Jelenia Góra – Sobieszów

 tel. 75 75-56-394 – w godzinach otwarcia zamku, 75 75-53-535 - schronisko, kom. 502-252-157

e-mail: kontakt@chojnik.pl

 

How to get there:

By car from Wrocław: by the A4 highway in the direction to Zgorzelec, then road no. 5 and road no. 3. In total: about 100 km. The castle lies within the administrative jurisdiction of Jelenia Góra in the Sobieszów district, near the road to Szklarska Poręba. It takes about 20 minutes to walk from the railway station in Jelenia Góra - Sobieszów to the sanctuary, where the castle is located.

 

Visiting:

The castle is open between 10.00 a.m. and 4.00 p.m. (from 20th January to March), between 10.00 a.m. and 5.00 p.m. (from April to June), between 10.00 a.m. and 6.00 p.m. (from July to August), between 10.00 a.m. and 5.00 p.m. (from September to October) and between 10.00 a.m. and 4.00 p.m. (in November). The admission fee for the landscape park: adult ticket - 4.6 PLN, concessions – 2.3 PLN. Admission fee for the ruins: normal ticket - 5 PLN, concessions - 3PLN.

 

Wydarzenia stałe i cykliczne odbywające się w obiekcie:

Every year since 1991 a knights’ tournament “O Złoty Bełt Chojnika” (“the Golden Quarrel of Chojnik”) is organized in August.

 

Car parking:

There is a paid car park at the foot of the mountain.

 

Places to eat:

Restauracja przy Hotelu Concordia

Zachełmie 68a,b, 58 – 562 Zachełmie

tel. 726-000-026

www.hotelconcordia.pl

e-mail: recepcja@hotelconcordia.pl

 

Restauracja przy Hotelu Chojnik

Zachełmie 24, Podgórzyn

tel. 75 762-12-11

www.hotelchojnik.pl

e-mail: info@hotelchojnik.pl

 

Zajazd Zamkowy

ul. Młyńska 2, 58 – 570 Jelenia Góra

tel. 75 755-30-21

There is no website or e-mail address available.

 

Accommodation:

Willa Darek pod Zamkiem Chojnik

ul. Chałubińskiego 8, 58 – 570 Sobieszów (Jelenia Góra)

tel. 75 755-36-67, 72 539-17-45

www.jeleniagora.com.pl/willadarek

There is no e-mail address available.

 

Apartament Magnolia

ul. Krasińskiego 15, 58 – 560 Jelenia Góra – Cieplice

tel. 75 755-74-34, 517-609-189

www.magnolia.cieplice.pl

e-mail: magnolia@cieplice.pl

 

Hotel BIS

ul. Zamoyskiego 3, 58 – 560 Jelenia Góra – Cieplice Zdrój

tel. 75 643-12-50

www.hotelbis.cieplice.pl

e-mail: recepcja@hotel-bis.pl

 

Tourist Information Office:

Centrum Informacji Turystycznej i Kulturalnej

Aleja Bankowa 27, Jelenia Góra

tel. 75 767-69-25

www.jeleniagora.pl

e-mail: it@jeleniagora.pl

Open: Monday – Friday from 9.00 a.m. to 6.00 p.m., Saturday from 10.00 a.m. to 2.00 p.m., Sunday (July – September) from 10.00 a.m. to 2.00 p.m.