Gniewoszów – Szczerba Castle – a ruin
Wybierz obiekt:

Gniewoszów – Szczerba Castle – a ruin

The first account of Szczerba Castle (former name: Schnallenstein) situated near Gniewoszów, on the trade route from Prague to Kłodzko, comes from the second half of the 14th century, from the time when the estates of the Glaubitz family were divided among the Otto brothers. The fortress is thought to have been built earlier, around 1316 (when the settlement of the Glaubitz family in the area was first recorded) or in 1323 (when the Glaubitz family were mentioned as the owners of Międzylesie). The damage to the castle, which probably happened in 1428, is ascribed to the Hussite troops. The reasonably good condition of the Szczerby ruins, however, suggests that it is unlikely that the fortress was inhabited for only about a century. The condition of the ruin deteriorated in 1769, when they were partially demolished in order to gain building material for the construction of the brewery in Różanka. In the 19th century the ruins were owned by count von Magnis and duchess Marianna Orańska. The castle remained in the hands of Orańska’s descendants, who derived from the Hohenzollern family, until 1945. Archeological research, carried out on the site of the ruin between 1986 and 1991, allowed for the creation of a sketch of the shape of the residential part. Fragments of the circumferential walls are also visible. The building looks like an irregular oval shape with a little cut on the west side and a small protrusion on the north side. Along with the defensive walls, built of ashlar stone, the estate covered an area of nearly 1000 square meters. In the northern part of the western wall there was a wide entrance gate, while on the north side there was a wicket gate leading to the courtyard. Next to the northern curtain there were residential buildings. The estate was surrounded by a moat which was carved to the rock.

The elements of the castle which have survived to this day are: the basements, the lower storeys of the residential buildings and fragments of the defensive wall, 1.5 m thick and 9 m high in some parts. There are two streams nearby – the Głownia and the Gołodolnik. The site is surrounded by forests.

 

Contact:

There is no contact available (a ruin).

 

How to get there:

Gniewoszów is situated about 5 km from a village called Domaszków where slow trains from Wrocław stop. Fast trains stop in Międzylesie, 8 km from the ruins. The site is situated on the left side of road no. 389 going to Gniewoszów, several hundred meters from the village of Różanka. It is rather hard to find it, as it is hidden by trees.

 

Visiting:

Admission is free.

 

Car parking:

It is possible to park in the area of the ruin – a small car park is available in the forest.

 

Places to eat:

Zajazd Sukiennice

ul. Wojska Polskiego 4, 57-530 Międzylesie

tel. 74 812-65-35

 

EXpansja

ul. Sienkiewicza 2, Bystrzyca Kłodzka

tel. 74 811-13-13

www.restauracja-expansja.pl

 

Gospoda GS Samopomoc Chłopska

ul. Międzyleska 16, 57-220 Domaszków

tel. 74 813-20-28

 

Accommodation:

Agroturystyka Pod Gniewoszem

Gniewoszów 24, 57 – 522 Domaszków

tel. 74 811-91-41

 

Agroturystyka Wojtulanka – Gniewoszów

Gniewoszów 2, 57-522 Gniewoszów

tel. 74 811-87-06

 

Gniewoszów - Kawałek Raju

Gniewoszów 11, 57-530 Międzylesie

tel. 603-782-521

There is no website available.

e-mail: iandi.piotr.wysocki@gmail.com

 

Tourist Information Office:

Centrum Informacji Turystycznej

ul. Mały Rynek 2/1, 57 – 500 Bystrzyca Kłodzka

tel. 74 811-37-31

www.bystrzycaklodzka.pl, www.zgs.ta.pl

e-mail: promocja@bystrzycaklodzka.pl, zgs@ta.pl

 

ul. Sobieskiego 2, 57 – 530 Międzylesie

tel. 74 812-63-41