Czocha - a castle
Wybierz obiekt:

Czocha- the castle

Czocha Castle (previously: Tschocha) was erected on the left bank of the Kwisa River, upon a granite rock. The construction was initiated by the Duke of Świdnica and Jawor. The structure was built on a quadrilateral plan. From their most military vulnerable side, the walls were reinforced with a massive circular tower. The edifice was probably a three-tier building, with many residential rooms, outbuildings and basements. The earliest mentions of the structure come from 1329. At that time, the castle was the property of Henry, the Duke of Jawor, and the ruler of the Lands of Zgorzelec. The castle became a feud of Bohemia in 1329. The residence was owned by the Saxon family of Donyn, in 1389. In 1417, the structure was bought from Burgrave Wenzel von Donyn, by Heinrich Renkern from Żyratwa. He, for his part, sold the castle to the Emperor’s Counsel, Hartung von Klüx, in 1420. In 1433, in absentia of the owner, the castle was conquered by Hussites. A year later the Counsel managed to regain the estate. Kaspar von Nostitz became the next owner of Czocha in 1453. The stronghold was remodelled into the Renaissance style, in the 16th century, on the initiative of Johann von Nostitz. Buildings were added on to the west and south side. An armoury was established at that time. The castle was remodelled once again in 1611. The defensive traits of the castle were strengthened after 1639, when it was owned by Christoph von Nostitz. During the Thirsty Years War, the local folk found protection in the castle. After the war, the castle got a gate with a drawbridge. Also at that time, animal husbandry was established in the old moat, and an arcaded bridge was built. The sgraffito decorations in the outbuilding also come from that period. The estate was passed from the widow of von Nostitz, to Johann Hartwig von Uechtritzt, in 1700. In 1765, a short period occurred, in which the castle was not owned by the Uechtritzt family; Czocha Castle then became the property of Ferdinand Otto von Schindel. The Uechtritzt family retrieved the estate in 1782. Damage caused by a fire in August of 1793, were repaired in September of the same year. During these works, a hip roof was put on the building, in place of rafter framing. The roof was covered with tiles and it was replaced with slate roof in 1795. The interiors were rebuilt and the tower was elevated. Ernst von Güstschow bought the castle in 1909. He ordered the reconstruction of the stronghold, according to a design by Bodo Ebhardt, based on the illustration from 1703.  The works were carried out between 1909 and 1914. Some of the paintings in the chamber were created by professor Max Koch. Eduard Stritt was the author of the stained glass windows. A library in the English Tudor Gothic style was created then (many book of this collection later went to the Wrocław University Library). The castle survived the war almost unscathed. Part of the castle’s art collection was plundered after war. The monument belonged to the Poviat Starosty (the county mayor) in 1945. The structure was acquired by the army in 1952, and a Military Holiday House was established here

Currently, Czocha Castle houses a hotel and a restaurant. A knighthood society is functioning in the place; it organizes a knights tournament, ‘plebeian entertainments’,  courses in historical dance and archery. Within the premises of the site one can also organise conferences, trainings and banquets. The two-tier Knight’s Room is the most interesting room of the castle. Some neo-Renaissance portals are located on its ground level. Also, a white neo-Gothic fireplace, and wooden balcony with decorative corbels, have survived. The room is topped with an oak coffer ceiling. The late-Gothic Moon Chamber is also very much worth seeing. A Renaissance well can be found in the yard; as can the so-called ‘well of unfaithful wives’. The elevations are decorated with sgraffito. The statue of a fencer, by Hugon Lederer, the replica of the sculpture placed in front of the main edifice of Wrocław University,  is situated in the little castle park.

 

Contact:

Zamek Czocha

Stankowice – Sucha, 59 – 820 Leśna

tel. 75 721-11-85

www.zamekczocha.pl

e-mail: rezerwacja@zamekczocha.pl

 

How to get there:

The castle is located near the town of Leśna (in Lubanski Powiat) and it can be seen from the road. Form Leśna, drive to the east, signs are placed by the road. The Polbus bus station in Leśna is situated 3 km from the monument. One can go directly to the castle from Wrocław, via a Polbus connection. The distance between Wrocław and the monument- about 130 km.

 

Visiting:

A tour with a guide is possible daily between 10.00 a.m. and 3.30 p.m. After 4 p.m. entry is possible only to the outer yards. Tickets: adults - 13 zł, children to up 15 years-old - 7 zł, children up to 3 years-old- admission is free. Filming Permission – 6zł.

 

Fixed and regular events taking place on the site:

A knight’s tournament is held in the second half of August.

 

Car parking:

Car park for the hotel guests is located by the hotel; the car park, on which a parking fee is required, is located in front of the gate, by the settlement, outside the castle walls.

 

Places to eat:

Restauracja w Zamku Czocha

Zamek Czocha, 59-820 Leśna

tel. 75 721-11-85

www.hotelewam.pl

e-mail: zamekczocha@hotelewam.pl

 

Restauracja Takis

ul. Jeleniogórska 4, 59-800 Lubań

tel. 75 721-40-55, 508-137-111

www.restauracjagreckatakis.pl

e-mail: takis@neostrada.pl

 

Pizzeria – Restauracja Faraon

ul. Różana 2, 59-800 Lubań

tel. 75 646-57-00, 507-021-582

e-mail: phgfaraon35@tlen.pl

 

Accommodation:

Zamek Czocha

Sucha, 59-820 Leśna

tel. 75 721-11-85 

www.zamekczocha.pl

e-mail: zamekczocha@hotelewam.pl

 

Gościniec u Buckich. Gospodarstwo Agroturystyczne

Stankowice Sucha 11, 59-820 Stankowice Sucha

tel. 75 721-13-98

 

 

Tourist information office:

Tourist information office

Rynek 19, 59 – 820 Leśna

tel. 75 721-14-00

e-mail: lesna@gminy.pl, rzeczniklesna@wp.pl