Chojnów – a castle, today a Regional Museum, plac Zamkowy (Zamkowy Square)
Wybierz obiekt:

Chojnów – a castle, today a Regional Museum, plac Zamkowy (Zamkowy Square)

The Castle of Dukes of Legnica was built in 1329, on the site of a grad (a medieval settlement) of a castellan from the late 13th century. From 1399 the Gothic castle was a residence of the Piasts of Legnica. In the 15th century, it was completely rebuilt, another inner courtyard and a cylindrical tower were added. After a fire and the collapse of one of the towers, the castle was reconstructed in the Renaissance style. The interiors were modernised for Frederick III, Duke of Legnica. The two-storey part of the palace, which has been preserved, consists of two wings and is covered with a steep roof. A richly decorated portal from 1547, depicting the bust of the founders of the palace - Frederick III and his wife, Catherine of Mecklenburg - has also been preserved.

In front of the façade are remains of the Gothic castle: foundations of a round tower and a well. In the south-west part of the courtyard there are visible fragments of a tower with a bath, which was erected by Frederick III in the 16th century.

Since 1933 the castle houses Regional Museum.

 

Contact:

Muzeum Regionalne w Chojnowie

pl. Zamkowy 3, 59-225 Chojnów

tel./fax 76 818-83-53

www.muzeum.chojnow.eu

e-mail: muzeum.chojnow@gmail.com, muzeumregion@wp.pl

 

How to get there:

The town is situated in the poviat of Legnica, about 20 km from Legnica, about 30 km from Lubin, about 95 km from Wrocław.

 

Visiting:

In the summertime (May 1st – October 31st ) it is open: Wednesdays – Fridays from 8.00 a.m. to 4.00 p.m., Saturdays – Sundays from 11.00 a.m. to 4.00 p.m.. It is closed on Mondays and Tuesdays.

In the wintertime (November 1st – April 30th): Tuesdays – Fridays from 8.00 a.m. to 4.00 p.m., Saturdays from 11.00 a.m. to 4.00 p.m. It is closed on Mondays and Sundays.

Tickets: normal– 3 zł, concessions – 1 zł, a group ticket – 1 zł. Admission is free on Saturdays.

The site is not accessible to the disabled.

It is possible to visit the site with a guide by prior arrangement.

 

Fixed and regular events taking place on the site:

The collections presented on permanent exhibition: Renesansowe sgraffita z dworu Schellendorfów z Zagrodna (Renaissance Sgraffitos from the Court of the Schellendorf Family from Zagrodno), Historia Chojnowa (The History of Chojnów), stonework from the period between the 14th and the 19th century, relics of a castle from the late 13th century.

 

Car parking:

There is a car park available.

 

Places to eat:

RestauracjaDuszka

ul. Królowej Jadwigi 4, 59-225 Chojnów

tel. 76 818-75-46

There is no website available.

e-mail: tdh@pertus.com.pl

 

RestauracjaWiatrak

Jerzmanowice 63, 59-225 Chojnów

tel./fax 76 818-67-48

www.wiatrak.com.pl

e-mail: wiatrak@wiatrak.com.pl

 

Accommodation:

HotelMax

ul. Katedralna 2, 59-225 Chojnów

tel.76 818-14-59

www.hotelmax.type.pl

e-mail: maxhotel@interia.pl

 

Tourist Information Office:

www.infolegnica.pl