Krzeszów – the post-Cistercian complex (the Minor Basilica of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary, the convent, the Church of St. Joseph, the Abbot’s House, the outbuildings, the garden and the complex of 25 Calvary Chapels)
Wybierz obiekt:

Krzeszów – the post-Cistercian complex (the Minor Basilica of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary, the convent, the Church of St. Joseph, the Abbot’s House, the outbuildings, the garden and the complex of 25 Calvary Chapels)

According to the Annals of Krzeszów, the Cistercians arrived in this area in 1292 to be endowed with land by Bolko I, the Duke of Jawor and Świdnica. Previously, there had been a Benedictine Monastery established by Duchess Anne, the wife of Henry II the Pious. Originally the Cistercians settled in Krzeszówek, but eventually they founded a branch 2 km away, in Krzeszów. The location of the monastery has been retained to this day. There is a legend connected with the location, according to which Duke Bolko went hunting to the forest in Krzeszów and fell asleep, tired of looking for water. While he was asleep he had a dream in which an angel told him to throw his ring ahead of himself. Upon awaking, the Duke carried out the angel’s instruction and in the place where the ring fell he found a spring. That is where the monastery was built.

The abbey developed rapidly and expanded its estates thanks to ducal donations and purchases (such as the acquisition of the town of Chełmsko Śląskie for 280 cents). The monastery developed significantly at the turn of the 17th and the 18th century thanks to Bernard Rosa, an abbot with artistic ambitions. During his rule a Silesian poet and mystic, Angelus Silesius, resided in Krzeszów; many sculptors and painters settled there to enrich and develop the artistic activity in Krzeszów. The time of splendour ended in 1810 with the secularization of the abbey by the Prussian authorities.

Today Krzeszów is a sanctuary and a pilgrimage destination. The post-Cistercian complex includes the monastery church (the Minor Basilica of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary), a late Baroque building erected between 1728 and 1735. It is a single-nave church built on a Latin-cross plan with a two-tower façade. The vault is covered with frescoes by Georg Wilhelm Neunhertz. The icon of the Gracious Mother of God, dating back to the 13th century, is considered to be the most valuable element of the main altar. It is the oldest representation of the Virgin Mary in Poland; in 1997 it was crowned by John Paul II. The organ made in the 18th century by Michael Engler, is particularly noteworthy. From the east, adjacent to the church, there is the The Piast Mausoleum and the grave chapel which houses the chapels with the Gothic tombstones of Bolko I and Bolko II, and the Chapel of St. Mary Magdalene with the Grave of our Lord.

The monastery in Krzeszów, founded in the 13th century, was completely reconstructed in the 18th century (though the work was not finished). The main, south wing with its original vaults have remained to this day.

The monastery complex also includes the Church of St. Joseph, erected in the late 17th century. The interior décor is dominated by mural paintings by Michael Willmann depicting scenes from the Bible. Right next to the church there is the former House of the Abbot called the Abbey Palace – today it serves as a guest house. The Calvary, comprising of the Stations of the Cross placed in chapels, also constitutes an important site. One should also see “Bethlehem” – a wooden pavilion with beautiful decorative paintings in the interior, situated 1 km away from Krzeszów.

Contact:

Parafia Wniebowzięcia NMP - Bazylika Mniejsza

pl. Jana Pawła II 6, 58-405 Krzeszów

tel. 75 742-32-79

www.opactwo.eu

e-mail: obsluga.pielgrzyma@gmail.com

How to get there:

The town is situated in the gmina of Kamienna Góra, about 100 km from Wrocław, over 40 km from Jelenia Góra, and about 8 km from Kamienna Góra. The access – by road no. 5, in Kamienna Góra an exit onto a road in the direction of Krzeszów. The post-Cistercian complex is located in the central part of Krzeszów.

Visiting:

1) May 1st – October 31st. The basilica – at. 8.00 a.m. – 6.00 p.m. with a break 12.00 – 12.45; the Church of St. Joseph, The Piast Mausoleum, and the Chapel of St. Mary Magdalene with the Grave of our Lord, climbing the tower at. 9.00 a.m. – 6.00 p.m. after prior reporting to the Pilgrim’s Service (Obsługa Pielgrzyma) office.

2) November 1st – April 30th: the basilica: 8.00 a.m. – 5.00 p.m.; the Church of St. Joseph, The Piast Mausoleum, and the Chapel of St. Mary Magdalene with the Grave of our Lord at 9.00 a.m. – 3.00 p.m. after prior reporting to the Pilgrim’s Service (Obsługa Pielgrzyma) office.

The chapels of the Calvary of Krzeszów, situated nearby the sanctuary: 9.00 a.m. – 6.00 p.m.

The abbot’s summer pavilion – only after prior reservation at the Pilgrim’s Service (Obsługa Pielgrzyma) office. Entering the Benedictine Convent and seeing the collection possible only after obtaining the sisters’ consent.

Tickets: adults – 5 zł, concessions – 3 zł, a tour with a guide for groups – additional 50 zł (only by prior telephone arrangement).

Masses:

1st of May – 31st of October: Sundays and Holidays at: 7.30 a.m., 10.00 a.m., 12.00, 5.00 p.m., Weekdays: 7.00 a.m., 12.00, 6.00 p.m.;

1st of November – 30th of April: Sundays and Holidays at: 7.30 a.m., 10.00 a.m., 12.00, 5.00 p.m., Weekdays: 7.00 a.m., 5.00 p.m.

Fixed and regular events:

July – summer organ concerts “Muzyka Dawnych Mistrzów” (The Music of Old Maestros) (at 11.00 a.m. in the basilica, at 3.30 p.m. in the Church of St. Joseph).

Parking:

There is a car park available.

Places to eat:

Restauracja „Stara Wozownia” (on the premises of the abbey)

pl. Jana Pawła II 3, 58-405 Krzeszów

tel. 75 742-32-79

There is no website available.

e-mail: sanktuarium.krzeszow@gmail.com

Pizzeria, restauracja „Rustykalna”

ul. Brokoffa 14, 58-405 Krzeszów

tel. 75 742-3535

There is no website available.

e-mail: rustykalna@krzeszow.net

Accommodation:

Dom Rekolekcyjno-Pielgrzymkowy Sióstr Elżbietanek

Krzeszów, ul. św. Jana Nepomucena 10

tel. 75 742-33-35

www.elzbietankikrzeszow.pl

e-mail: siostryelzbietanki@o2.pl

Klasztor Sióstr Benedyktynek

pl. Jana Pawła II 5, Krzeszów

tel. 75 742-33-80

There is no website available.

e-mail: opactwossbenedyktynek@poczta.onet.pl

Tourist Information Office:

Obsługa Pielgrzyma

tel. 75 742-32-79

There is no website available.

e-mail: sanktuarium.krzeszow@gmail.com

 

Gallery