Biały Kościół – the church of the visiation of the virgin mary
Wybierz obiekt:

Biały Kościół- the church of the Visitation of the Virgin Mary

The church of the Visitation of the Virgin Mary was first mentioned in 1264. It is a Romanesque building, erected in the mid-13th century.

From the 14th century to the Second World War, the church was used by Evangelicals. It burnt down many times. The building underwent major Classicist alterations, which changed its original construction. The presbytery was broadened, the gallery was raised and the decoration was changed. The church remained in ruins from 1945 (during the War ammunition which was being stored in the building exploded and turned the church into rubble). In 1984 reconstruction was started according to a design by Jerzy Rozpędowski, who referred back to the original Romanesque look of the building. The reconstruction lasted 10 years.

The church is made of rubble granite and brick. It has one nave and a square steeple. To this day there are some remains of Romanesque stonework in the side walls and lower part of the steeple. A stone baptismal font from the early Middle Ages is located in the church porch. There are some epitaphs preserved from the 16th and 17th centuries which are embedded in the cemetery wall fringing the church.

The site is situated on Wzgórza Strzelińskie. Visiting possible only by prior telephone arrangement with the parish priest, tel. 71/ 393 06 87 or 602 687 395.

For more information go to www.bialykosciol.pl.

Masses: Sundays and Holidays: at 12.00.

Workdays in the summertime: at 6.00 p.m., in the wintertime 5.00 p.m.

Gallery