Boguszów Gorce - market square –the highest located market square in Poland
Wybierz obiekt:

Boguszów Gorce - market square – the highest located market square in Poland

Boguszów Gorce consists of two old villages: Boguszów and Gorce. For centuries Boguszów was the older and more important component, as it was given mining privileges in 1499. The privileges were confirmed in 1591. The mining regalia belonged to the Bohemian king. The town was bought by Konrad von Hober in 1509, who started coal mining. One of the mining shafts was situated in 1529, in the middle of the market square. Silver was also excavated here. The town and the mining facilities burned down in 1554. After reconstruction, the Thirty Years’ War brought about a new period of decline to both the town and to the mining industry. Not until the early 18th century were the new silver and iron ores discovered. From the late 18th century, many coke mines were established in the vicinity. The town developed as a local industrial centre, but in the course of time it had to give way to nearby Wałbrzych. The urban arrangement from the late Middle Ages has been maintained. Among which is the small, rectangular market square, form the town centre; it is elongated along the east-west axis. The streets begin from the corners of the square. Three- and four-tier buildings, mainly from the 18th-20th centuries, were built upon the frontages. A three-tier town hall, built between 1723 and 1737, in the location of a distillery, is located in the eastern frontage; a tower is placed in front of its façade. A parish church is situated on the west, next to the market square; the church can be seen from the square. Boguszów is situated relatively high, on the southern slopes of Boguszówka Mountain (the market square is located at an elevation of 590m), which makes it the highest old town in Poland.

Gallery